How to build a WordPress site from scratch
Quick Post Navigation
- 1 How to build a WordPress site from scratch
- 2 Decide on a domain name.
- 3 Build Your Website Now
- 4 Here Are My Other Domain Hosting company Options
- 5 The Plugins You will Need
- 6 My top two SEO plugins
- 7 My Choice site speed optimizer
- 8 My top two image optimizer plugins
- 9 My Choice Anti-Spam Plugin
- 10 My choice Additional Plugins
- 11 Next step basic post & page setup
- 12 My Overall Summary
Are you new to Internet marketing and not sure what to do? Well, today I’m going to show you how to build a WordPress site from scratch.
It can be not very clear at the start, not knowing what to do and how to go about setting up your website. But if you start at the beginning, that is the best place to be.
Most people think I am going to slap some pages up and make a fortune; that’s a long way from the truth. It is a long road to get there, and knowing how your website functions will be invaluable down the track.
Why should I go with WordPress, you say? Almost 60% of websites out there today are WordPress hosted with either .com or .org
The main reason you should be going with WordPress is that it is easier to use and more DIY friendly than other web platforms out on the market.
I am going to take you through the process from the beginning so you can quickly get the gist of what to do and how easy it can be to build your site.
I’m going to assume that you have already done your research and chosen the niche market that you wish to work in if not read my article about how to choose your niche.
Decide on a domain name.
A lot of new marketers (myself included) just run out and by the first domain name they think of without realizing the competition the domain name could have.
A little bit of research is needed to work out what type of domain name would suit your niche and whether the competition for that particular domain name would be too strong to compete against.
I think one of the most important things to think about is that this website is all about you and branding yourself for the future.
Try to pick a domain name that has a bit of your personality about it; the title should be short and easy to understand as you want your audience to be able to remember your site name easily.
I have got to admit my site name is not the best because I made the mistakes that I am talking about, but the domain name does cover the niche I have decided to concentrate my efforts.
Not every domain name is going to be perfect, but in saying that, I go ahead a day at a time writing out content to build out my site.
Build Your Website Now
You can join up at any hosting platform out there and set up all your plugins and learn how to optimize your site the hard way. If you still want to go with another hosting company, I will go through the other option after.
My WordPress platform builder of choice is the Wealthy Affiliate platform builder. With this, I can set up a website for free complete with plugins, pages, and posts within one minute.
The setup is completed in four steps.
- Then choose a domain name for your website. This is a siterubix.com subdomain. (Note: To make sure this domain name is available as a paid domain, do a domain name search.
- Enter Your Website title; this can always be changed down the track if you don’t like it.
- Then you choose your theme; I usually recommend the “Generate Press” theme for when you first start as it is an uncomplicated design to work with
- Push the button, sit back, and in about one minute, your website is built.
All free websites are hosted at Wealthy Affiliate; you can choose to build your own paid domains or transfer your domains over if you wish.
All hosted sites come with
- Site Speed technology – This is Proprietary WA technology that uses no plugins or external software to speed up user engagement & better ranking.
- Site SSL (HTTPS) – Wealthy Affiliate has 256-bit encrypted connections for free. This will keep your visitor data safe and is preferred by the search engines.
- Site Protect (Spam Blocker) – Wealthy Affiliate Spam Blocker starts at the server and will block all the automated comments spam so that it never even goes to your site.
- All In One SEO. – Features like SEO for custom post styles, XML Site maps, SEO for blogs or business sites, SEO for e-commerce sites, and much more.
- Classic Editor Active – Enables the Word Press classic editor and the old-style Edit Post screen with TinyMCE, Meta Boxes, etc. Supports the older plugins that extend this screen.
- Kraken Image Optimizer Active – This plugin allows you to optimize your WordPress images through the Kraken API,
Plus, there is a free training on how to build your website up and running from the ground up.
As you can see, it has everything you need to get off to a flying start with great training courses, live weekly webinars, and a vibrant community atmosphere where you can ask any question and get an answer.
I started my journey here at Wealthy Affiliate, and I am still traveling it; there is always more to learn, and it is an excellent place to talk with other people who will relate with what you are going through.
Here Are My Other Domain Hosting company Options
Now I understand you are saying well I don’t want to use Wealthy Affiliate as my hosting platform. I get it; it is not for everyone, so here are three others to have a look at.
Godaddy.com – The biggest of the lot on the market today is Godaddy. A lot of people say that they are overpriced, I say no to that considering the support for your site is 24/7 telephone support for anything sales or technical to do with your site at all.
I do use Godaddy and have always found their service to be excellent.
Namecheap.com – Namecheap has been around forever and has a good reputation for being able to get a cheap domain name and hosting package all in one go.
Hostgator.com – One more to consider would be Hostgator it is a pretty big company that is preferred by a lot of starters when they first come into the market. They also have a sound support system, although they can take a while to get to you.
There are a ton of other hosting companies you can choose from out there. They have the hosting capabilities, this is true, but none of them have that additional factor that is needed
You need the training that will keep you on track when you are building your blog up from scratch; Wealthy Affiliate has that along with the hosting as well.
The Plugins You will Need
Now, this is where a lot of new marketers go crazy and start slapping a ton of plugins onto their site only to say OMG, my website is as slow as a wet week on Sunday.
Too many plugins will slow the loading speed of your site dramatically. 5 – 7 plugins is about as far as you want to push it.
My top two SEO plugins
- All in one SEO pack – This is the plugin I currently use; it is the same as Yoast, except some of the formatting is slightly different.
- Yoast – It is one of the most well-known plugins out there and is excellent to use to improve your SEO rankings.
Of all the plugins out there, these two are the most widely used and, most importantly, are updated continuously. I have used both in the past and like them both.
My Choice site speed optimizer
- Hummingbird – I use this plugin on my site to speed optimization, and I love it; it also is a part of Smush, so they work well together.
My top two image optimizer plugins
- Smush – This plugin is great to use by itself as a stand-alone image optimizer or in tandem with hummingbird
- EWWW Image Optimizer – Have never used it myself, but all the reviews point favorably towards another option
Both have proven track records out there in the community; My favorite is the smush image optimizer. I had a look at my site speed to see what to fix, and images were loading pretty badly.
So I threw the Kraken plugin that I was using out the window and tried out Smush, and my image site speed improved dramatically haven’t looked back since.
My Choice Anti-Spam Plugin
- Akismet – This is just the go-to choice of most hosting platforms unless they are hosting your anti-spam on their servers.
My choice Additional Plugins
- Pretty links – if you are new to marketing, there is nothing worse than the sight of an affiliate link. This is the plugin of choice for most marketers to mask their links.
- Table of contents plus – This one is a plugin of preference; it puts a table up at the top of the post that a visitor can click on to go to any point in a post.
- Sassy social share – A handy little plugin to let people share your posts on social media sites.
So there you have it. That is a basic setup for a start-up site. In the end, emails and such like.
Next step basic post & page setup
Steps to follow
First of all, delete all the sample pages, and the sample post all of it is just dummy text. Next, it is time to create new pages.
- Create an affiliate disclosure page ===> Click Here For A Sample
- Create you’re about me page. Take your time with this as it will reflect your personality to your readers.
If they aren’t what you want, do a bit of a google search, and you will find others out there you can use.
So here you are, your site. It is set up ready to rock n’ roll; now you are prepared to start putting up your posts.
My Overall Summary
So here you are, your site is set up. Sorry to disappoint you though, that was the easy part of your journey into the world of internet marketing.
Over the next 3 – 6 months is where 90% of people fail because they didn’t realize what building a website up from the ground upwards means.
You will have to put in the time to start getting posts written and published consistently. Don’t expect the website to start making any money for at least 3 -4 months unless you are running a PPC campaign.
This is where you need the training to start from the ground up as well as a vibrant community who are all doing the same as you, following their dreams; you can bounce ideas off them, ask questions as well.
I have never regretted joining Wealthy Affiliate, and I hope you give it a try as well.
I hope you enjoyed my post.
Bye for now
Have a question? Leave a comment below and I will get back as soon as possible
Hi there everybody, my name is Kevin de la Haye. I hope you enjoyed the post. I aim to always bring some value with every post that I write. I am the owner of Niche Marketing Toolkit, and I take each day as a challenge to you, my loyal readers.